LinuxSir.cn,穿越时空的Linuxsir!

找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: shell linux mysql
查看: 1182|回复: 2

Quota: user and group, which goes first?

[复制链接]
发表于 2005-10-12 09:30:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
I am setting up quota. Basically it works fine, but I have some scenarios which i am not sure.

1. When we talk about group quota, it refers to user's primary group or public group? I guess both: as long as this user is a member of this group, the group quota should apply to this user. But how about a user belongs to many groups and all the groups has its own quota setting.  In this sense, maybe the group quota refers to primary group?  I am confused.....  

2. Setup quota only for group (edquota -g), but "repquota -u" of one user in this group will still show nothing. However, I noticed this user actually has quota limit from the group quota. When I try to exceed the limit for this user, it gives warning message.  So I guess it is the design to SHOW group quota only for the group, not for its member. Am I right?

3. Setup quota for both users (edquota -e) and its group (edquota -g), but with different quota size.  Repquota shows diffrent for users and groups. OK. Turn quotaon for both users and groups.  Then which quota limit will go first? users or groups?  I have not had chance to test the last scenario. Any clue?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
发表于 2005-10-12 12:30:14 | 显示全部楼层
Post by zaiwen
I am setting up quota. Basically it works fine, but I have some scenarios which i am not sure.

1. When we talk about group quota, it refers to user's primary group or public group? I guess both: as long as this user is a member of this group, the group quota should apply to this user. But how about a user belongs to many groups and all the groups has its own quota setting.  In this sense, maybe the group quota refers to primary group?  I am confused.....  

2. Setup quota only for group (edquota -g), but "repquota -u" of one user in this group will still show nothing. However, I noticed this user actually has quota limit from the group quota. When I try to exceed the limit for this user, it gives warning message.  So I guess it is the design to SHOW group quota only for the group, not for its member. Am I right?

3. Setup quota for both users (edquota -e) and its group (edquota -g), but with different quota size.  Repquota shows diffrent for users and groups. OK. Turn quotaon for both users and groups.  Then which quota limit will go first? users or groups?  I have not had chance to test the last scenario. Any clue?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

1. group quota applies to user's gid.
  1. repquota -g -a
复制代码

3. (I am not sure what is edquota -e means) Im not sure but I think whichever one comes first applies...
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2005-10-12 21:21:53 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I guess I got the answer.

"1. group quota applies to user's gid."

gid means primary group....that make sense.

"2. 代码: repquota -g -a "

You misunderstood my question. I know "repquota -g -a" or " repquota -gu -a" to show both group and user quota.  My question is: when I have group quota setup, " repquota -gu -a" will only show this group has quota while no quota for its member users, although the  member of this group will actually be limited.  Now I think I understand the design, because you may only want to quotaon user or group quota. In this way, if group quota is turned off, its member can still have quota limit if their own user quota is turned on.

"3. (I am not sure what is edquota -e means) Im not sure but I think whichever one comes first applies..."

Sorry, typo....edquota -u.....
That's exactly what I am thinking: whichever comes first applies...thank you for confirming with me.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表