楼主: yqh1203

ibox能从硬盘启动iso文件吗?

[复制链接]
发表于 2004-11-14 23:41:18 | 显示全部楼层
Waiting for your report, thanks ;-)
发表于 2004-11-15 01:47:40 | 显示全部楼层
最初由 home_king 发表
Waiting for your report, thanks ;-)

教主, one good news and one not too bad news for you.

The good news is that NavynOS comes with 3 installers:

install.sh    -  the installer written by the original author
navynos-installer_org - the installer written by 3rd party
navynos-installer     - the installer improved by original author

All of these are shell scripts but all of these have bugs (not fixed yet).

The not too bad news is about the scripts for CD customization.

These scripts do not automate the process but aim to assist users customizing
their CD.  Below is exerpted from NavynOS home page on CD customization:

You can modify the contents of the cdrom easilly. All you need is any linux
with the mkisofs program installed, and you can use the installed version of
Navyn OS for this. First you have to copy all files from the cdrom to a
directory on your linux partition. Open a console and go to the directory
root/scripts. Execute uncompress script by typing: sh uncompress_iso.sh,
now you can modify files, install programs and so on, and you can add new
programs by typing emerge program_name. When you have finished type
exit, and then type sh compress_iso.sh. To generate a new iso file type sh
isogen.sh. Thats all . Burn it to cd.

Hope these scripts are useful for iBox.

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?注册

x
发表于 2004-11-15 11:18:11 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks for your work. I will read it.

About customization, I don't think that NavynOS help us customize twice and then rebuild LIVECD at ease.
IBOX presents you "ibox-builder" -- a highly in-side script set. With comparision to NavynOS, you just type one command "mkibox" to rebuild your IBOX(that's all!). You can find nothing easier than ibox-builder, I think. ;-) However, ibox-builder is not be published in some months for some personal reason. I'm sorry.
发表于 2004-11-15 22:18:38 | 显示全部楼层
Oh, good (or bad!), if you are not releasing the installer in coming months, I hv more motivation to try installing iBox the jollix way.   Well, too busy at the moment, may be after Xmas.
发表于 2004-11-17 19:31:59 | 显示全部楼层
教主,I am getting very close to finish a PMI (Poor Man's Installation)  but failed.

Here are the steps of my attempt:

1. For simplicity, I use a DOS partition to do the PMI
2. Create directory and copy files from ibox CD:
md ibox-pmi
cd ibox-pmi
copy the livecd.squashfs to ibox-pmi directory
copy the kernel image ibox to ibox-pmi
copy the initrd image ibox.igz to ibox-pmi
copy the latest version of loadlin.exe to this dir
3. Issue the folloiwng command at DOS prompt:

loadlin.exe ibox initrd=ibox.igz init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 video=vesafb:ywrap

Parameters are same as those in your cfg except that I intend to load them via loadlin

Well, the system does start, kernel image is uncompressed, goes into frame buffer but...
I am almost there but just unable to initial the init ramdisk.  The root=/dev/ram0 may be wrong but I try root=/ does not help.
Also I get an error saying something like "unable to open old console...", it only flashed in a few seconds, difficult to read clearly.

As I don't understand your principles, can you share with us how do you initialize your initrd to make this work? If I can get through this, then I have enough cues to proceed a full harddisk installation.

Please advise.

BTW, I am not familiar with gnome, I cannot find a telephone dialer in iBOX, have you included any tools for dial up network?
发表于 2004-11-18 12:53:42 | 显示全部楼层
最初由 d00m3d 发表
教主,I am getting very close to finish a PMI (Poor Man's Installation)  but failed.

Here are the steps of my attempt:

1. For simplicity, I use a DOS partition to do the PMI
2. Create directory and copy files from ibox CD:
md ibox-pmi
cd ibox-pmi
copy the livecd.squashfs to ibox-pmi directory
copy the kernel image ibox to ibox-pmi
copy the initrd image ibox.igz to ibox-pmi
copy the latest version of loadlin.exe to this dir
3. Issue the folloiwng command at DOS prompt:

loadlin.exe ibox initrd=ibox.igz init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 video=vesafb:ywrap

Parameters are same as those in your cfg except that I intend to load them via loadlin

Well, the system does start, kernel image is uncompressed, goes into frame buffer but...
I am almost there but just unable to initial the init ramdisk.  The root=/dev/ram0 may be wrong but I try root=/ does not help.
Also I get an error saying something like "unable to open old console...", it only flashed in a few seconds, difficult to read clearly.

As I don't understand your principles, can you share with us how do you initialize your initrd to make this work? If I can get through this, then I have enough cues to proceed a full harddisk installation.

Please advise.

BTW, I am not familiar with gnome, I cannot find a telephone dialer in iBOX, have you included any tools for dial up network?

"unable to open old console..." means that kernel can not mount any root filesystem, not the Initrd initialization problem. Moreover, to correct this, the key is that livecd.squashfs must be in place and can be mounted by linuxrc. I have no idea about loadlin.exe.(I never use it.)

dialup program, hmm, I exclude such old-fashion networking way when I building IBOX. Sorry, maybe next version will include such programs.

Recently, I am very busy in my resume writing and finding job. I have no time to develop IBOX. Sorry ;-(
发表于 2004-11-18 22:59:42 | 显示全部楼层
最初由 home_king 发表
"unable to open old console..." means that kernel can not mount any root filesystem, not the Initrd initialization problem. Moreover, to correct this, the key is that livecd.squashfs must be in place and can be mounted by linuxrc. I have no idea about loadlin.exe.(I never use it.)

dialup program, hmm, I exclude such old-fashion networking way when I building IBOX. Sorry, maybe next version will include such programs.

Recently, I am very busy in my resume writing and finding job. I have no time to develop IBOX. Sorry ;-(

1.  loadlin.exe is very similar to the normal boot loaders except that it is started from DOS.  Thanks for your advice, I have some cues to try again.

2.  教主, the dialup program is still necessary!  Let me explain in a more detail.  Think about the purpose of a LiveCD, usually you will use a LiveCD under the following situations:
2.1  People want to try before installation.  In other words, they want to experience Linux but not convinced to install yet.
2.2  You want to do a demonstration to show what can be done with Linux.
2.3  New mode of mobile computing.  If I ask you to bring a notebook computer or a LiveCD + USB flash disk, what is your choice?
2.4  You want to work on a computer which does not belong to your own, i.e. someone can lend you a computer temporarily but he don't want you install anything to it.

I was on trip a couple of days ago.  I used to bring Knoppix + USB flash disk with me so that I could work remotely from the office.  But I made a mistake this time, I brought iBOX with me instead of Knoppix.  I brought iBOX because I intended to promote iBOX and demonstrated how it was superior over Knoppix (in certain areas).  I was challenged on how to access the internet via dial up network.  They have a modem but no ADSL.  I was very embarassing but luckily, all the audiences were impressed and they asked me to leave the iBOX CD for them.

In the past, I wonder why Knoppix is so successful, and now, I know the reason.  It is because Knoppix can cater the needs for everyone.

Finally, good luck for you to get a good job/career.
发表于 2004-11-18 23:30:27 | 显示全部楼层
oh, I misunderstand your word. IBOX has dial-up tools!
Strictly, dial-up networking just means networking via 56K telephone modem! Right? You should say dial-up networking via ADSL-modem. Though ADSL modem can reuse your telephone line, its main medium will be installed by CHINA TELECOM separated. *_*

Many people ignore the GREEN PROMPT given by /etc/issue when init-script-process finish. Maybe next version of IBOX should prompt you explicitly~~~

IBOX give you "net-setup" front-end which can be used to get networking thought all popular ways like ADSL, DHCP LAN, Fixed IP, Fixed IP + ADSL, Fixed IP + 802.1x supplicant. It meets almost all need for you.

电话拨号上网 != ADSL拨号上网

IBOX, is convenient enough for newbies and that's all.

I was very embarassing but luckily, all the audiences were impressed and they asked me to leave the iBOX CD for them.

Do you know "adsl-setup" and "adsl-start" script set to go with RP-PPPOE package? In other word, you just know how to get networking via GUI interface binded with rp-pppoe? hmm...
发表于 2004-11-18 23:45:31 | 显示全部楼层
Hang on.  I know how to setup ADSL but I am talking about the old-fashioned 56k dial-up method.

Sorry for confusion.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表