找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: shell linux mysql
查看: 3966|回复: 24

Slackware 9.1 installation log(英文)

[复制链接]
发表于 2003-11-18 09:25:17 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Hope this is helpful to some. To painful to type it out in Chinese. Sorry about that.

Will update from time to time.

2003-11-16

(Re)Installed Slackware 9.1
---------------------------
Backed up /home selectively. Backed up /etc. Backup custom fonts.

Repartitioned harddisk and used hda5 (5GB) as my Slackware 9.1 root(/) filesystem. Used hda6 (255MB) as my swap partition. The rest is not partitioned as I think it is better to mount them in later when my existing file systems are low on space.

During installation need to enable hotplug subsystem during system startup, so that I can use my USB harddisk. Once it is enabled I only need to mount /dev/sdan to access it.

Only selectively installed software contained in disk 1. The whole installation takes about 1.3GB.

Next is to install LT Winmodem driver.

Install LT Winmodem driver
--------------------------
Untar the source tarball to /usr/src. The installation is straight forward. Just follow the instructions. The only thing to note is if /dev/modem is already linked to a device file (which is the case for me), autoload will prompt you to remove that link first. After that rerun autoload, and it will create a device called /dev/ttyLT0, and link /dev/modem to that device file.

Configure ppp
-------------
Using pppsetup. Used back saved settings in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/ppp/pppscript to specify the phone number to dial and the DNS server IP address of my service provider. As pppsetup only adds one DNS server IP address to /etc/resolv.conf, need to add any others you have manually into it later.

By default only root can use ppp-go. To allow normal users to use ppp-go, need to set appropriate permissions for /etc/ppp/options, and /etc/ppp/pppscript, and chmod u+s (setuid) /usr/sbin/pppd. Also created link in /usr/local/bin/ for ppp-go and ppp-off (in /usr/sbin/) so that they are in a normal user's search path.

This is not the best way to grant dial up access to users, because it opens the door for ANY user. Need to look into this later.

Enable APM (auto-power-off after running halt)
----------------------------------------------
As apm is included by default as a kernel module. Just edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and uncomment the line "/sbin/modprobe apm".

Install NVIDIA graphics card driver
-----------------------------------
Driver version 1.0-4496. After installing the driver, edit XF86Config according to the driver's documentation. Straight-forward.
The following options are added.
   Option     "NoLogo"  "true"
   Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Experimental
   Option "CursorShadow" "true"
And, importantly, change HorizSync and VertRefresh to appropriate values that matches my monitor.
    HorizSync   30 - 70
    VertRefresh 50 - 160

Enable mouse wheel
------------------
Edit XF86Config and add in the following options in Section InputDevice for my mouse.
Option "rotocol" "imps/2"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Adjust fstab
------------
Added or changed the following entries:
/dev/hda1        /mnt/hda1        vfat        auto,umask=000   1   0
/dev/hda2        /mnt/hda2        vfat        auto,umask=000   1   0
/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     noauto,user,ro   0   0
/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0
devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
/dev/sda1        /mnt/sda1        vfat        noauto,user,codepage=936,iocharset=gb2312      1   0
/dev/sda2        /mnt/sda2        vfat        noauto,user,codepage=936,iocharset=gb2312      1   0
/dev/sda5        /mnt/sda5        vfat        noauto,user,codepage=936,iocharset=gb2312      1   0
/dev/hdc4        /mnt/zip         vfat        noauto,user,codepage=936,iocharset=gb2312      0   0

Allow normal user to run /sbin/halt (and reboot)
------------------------------------------------
chmod u+s /sbin/halt

Allow normal user to use sound card
-----------------------------------
chmod a+r /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

Enable Chinese display/Input
----------------------------
Steps in Chinese.txt

Only rxvt launched within rxvt can call out scim bar. Cannot input Chinese in Mozilla. Need to find out why.

Once the locale is set to zh_CN.GBK, startx becomes extremely slow (1 minute plus and still counting). Change back locale to C and eveything is ok.

Tried to reinstall glibc-i18n, fluxbox, and xfree86, but in vain.

2003-11-17

Solving the slow startx under zh_CN.GBK problem
-----------------------------------------------
Retried to run startx under LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312, and it took only 6 - 7 seconds. I suspect it is because there is no font for GBK codeset (inspired by a document in LinuxSir.org that explains details of fonts.dir file). Looking at fonts.dir file and fonts.scale files under the directory where my simsun.ttc resides (/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/local/) shows indeed there is no font defined for gbk. So duplicated the line:
simsun.ttc -misc-SimSun-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-gb2312.1980-0
and changed it to:
simsun.ttc -misc-SimSun-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-gbk-0

Did the same thing for fonts.scale (guess it is necessary). Updated first line of both file to indicate the correct number of fonts listed below.

After that run startx again. Voila! After less than 10 seconds I am in fluxbox.

Installed scim 0.8.2 and scim-chinese 0.2.6 - converted from TurboLiux 8.0 rpm (see Chinese.txt). Working in mozilla (after setting GTK_IM_MODULE=xim)

Installed non-official packages:
gkrellm-2.1.21-i686-2.tgz
gqview-1.2.2-i486-1.tgz

Installed/Upgraded slack-current packages:
ccache-2.3-i486-1.tgz
distcc-2.11-i486-1.tgz
gimp-1.3.21-i486-1.tgz
hdparm-5.4-i486-1.tgz
perl-5.8.1-i486-1.tgz
pkgtools-9.1.1-i486-1.tgz
发表于 2003-11-18 09:33:53 | 显示全部楼层
不错不错,不过有些英文不好的兄弟可能要头痛了。

做个修正,关于滚轮鼠标的设置不太完整。
还要增加
Option "Buttons" "5"
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-18 09:48:05 | 显示全部楼层
最初由 struggle 发表
不错不错,不过有些英文不好的兄弟可能要头痛了。

做个修正,关于滚轮鼠标的设置不太完整。
还要增加
Option "Buttons" "5"

Right. Corrected. Copied the wrong lines :p
很抱歉不能用中文。打中文慢。太懒了。
anyway, 上面很大部分都是从这个论坛上学来的 :thank
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-18 09:54:49 | 显示全部楼层

Slackware 9.1 Chinese - Work in Progress- mentioned above

Chinese Display
===============
Obtain some Chinese font files and put them into some directory (such as /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local). Chinese font files can be obtained from Windows, or search net (to search). After that, run mkfontscale (or ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale, not in Slackware 9.1) and then mkfontdir *inside* that directory.

Edit XF86Config to load modules "freetype" (and maybe "xtt", not necessary) in Section Modules (loaded by default in Slackware 9.1).

Edit /etc/fonts/local.conf, add in a <dir> element for the path containing your Chinese fonts. This is for applications using fontconfig (such as Mozilla). Also run fc-cache -vf at each start-up (slackware 9.1's man page does not explain the meaning of the parameters).

In XF86Config, add a FontPath in Section Files pointing to the directory containing Chinese fonts. This is for applications that do not use fontconfig.

Restart X for the changes in XF86Config to take effect.

Mozilla - Set its fonts for Simplified Chinese to some Chinese fonts, under Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts

Edit /etc/gtk/gtkrc.zh_CN -> XMMS (and other GTK1 based systems) - Need LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBxxx

Chinese Input
=============
Edit your shell profile to have the following settings are there.
unset LC_ALL
export LANG=POSIX
export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK
export LC_NUMERIC=POSIX (or C, or en_US, etc)
export LC_TIME=POSIX
export LC_COLLATE=POSIX
export LC_MONETARY=POSIX
export LC_MESSAGES=POSIX
export LC_PAPER=POSIX
export LC_NAME=POSIX
export LC_ADDRESS=POSIX
export LC_TELEPHONE=POSIX
export LC_MEASUREMENT=POSIX
export LC_IDENTIFICATION=POSIX

Note: If you use LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK (and possibly other codeset, such as GB18030, I guess), make sure you have some entry that defines fonts for charset gbk in fonts.dir and fonts.scale in one of your X FontPath. In my case, if there is no single gbk codeset font defined, X will take LONG time to start up (In my case one minute plus and still going).

fcitx:
Add the following to xinitrc or shell profile.
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx

Add the following to xinitrc before starting WM.
fcitx &

Do if you encounter errors with fcitx: Set 字体区域设置 in profile file of fcitx matches LC_CTYPE you set.

scim:
Install scim (by converting rpm files to tgz files. Note dependency of scim.)
Add the following to xinitrc or shell profile.
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

Add the following to xinitrc before starting WM.
scim -d

For KDE, need to change the option xim to over the spot. There are four XIM input style: on the spot, over the spot, off the spot, root window, "on the spot" inputs at the current input spot of client software, "over the spot" shows an edit window above the current input spot. "off the spot" shows an edit window below the current input spot. "root window" shows an independent edit window of the input method engine.

For GTK based applications (such as Mozilla 1.4), do export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim. This instructs GTK to use XIM as its IME.

For GTK 2.0, edit /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules. Locate:
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/immodules/im-xim.so"
"xim" "X Input Method" "gtk20" "/usr/share/locale" "ko:ja:zh"

Change "ko:ja:zh" to "ko:ja:zhOSIX". (add more if you want, C, en, etc)
This allows GTK2.0 based applications use XIM by default when locale is C/POSIX.

Chinese Font Substitution in KDE & GNOME
========================================
KDE: Run QtConfig, in Fonts, Font Substitution, Select or enter a family, select a font you want to substitute, and in Select Substitution family, choose a Chinese font. (TODO: Try out)
GNOME: Edit /etc/fonts/local.conf, substitute arphic to Chinese font family (TODO: find out details)
发表于 2003-11-19 11:40:41 | 显示全部楼层
frenzy的英文好生了得,我得努力学习!
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 19:48:24 | 显示全部楼层
最初由 Neo.K 发表
frenzy的英文好生了得,我得努力学习!

不好意思。我不是要炫耀。这个log是我自己要留的,所以用英文写。我现在写东西99%是英文的。。。
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 19:52:43 | 显示全部楼层
2003-11-19

Install mlterm
--------------
Configuration parameters used:
./configure --enable-anti-alias --enable-utmp --enable-optimize-redrawing --with-scrollbars

Used checkInstall to install it.

Install stardict
----------------
Version 2.4.1. Right after I have installed it I found 2.4.2 is out... What a luck!

Must follow what its INSTALL says:
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc  --mandir=/usr/share/man
or stardict will not recognize dictionaries installed.

Default configuration requires openssl package. It also requires a number of gnome packages (all are available in slackware 9.1 disc 2):
libgnomeui
libgnome
orbit2
libbonono
libbononoui
gconf
gnome-vfs
libgnomecanvas
libidl
scrollkeeper
发表于 2003-11-20 12:00:03 | 显示全部楼层
感谢frenzy兄的杰作,加精支持!